Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Asha Bhonsle - Birthday Tribute













While we were watching the Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations at Aparna, we couldn't help notice that people from various parts of India have completely embraced the festivities. 

 It so happened that our friends from the society were visiting. We were talking about the melting pot of Indian Culture and discussion soon turned to Blogs and music. And I realized its been a while since I penned my thoughts. Here's celebrating the recent birthday of legendary singer, Asha Bhosle. She turned 88, on September 8. 

 I grew up being biased towards Lata Mangeshkar. Constant exposure to Hindi Film songs of the yore meant that watching songs picturized on the Heroine in Lata's voice and on the vamp picturized on Asha. Having developed a preference for the pious over sensuous; soft over loud and Indian over western meant that the elder sister always had the edge. But things changed as I explored Bengali and Marathi music. I also became much more receptive of western music. That is when I realized that the younger sister is no less. In fact Hindi music lovers are unfortunate that the softer side of Asha hasn't been tapped enough. 

 Without further ado; here are some personal favorites that showcase her mastery. In Bengali, she has done justice to all the Genres; Rabindra Sangeet, Aadhunik Gaan as well as Film songs. 


 This beautiful compositon by Sudhin Das Gupta occupies a space which in my mind has been Lata's domain, and I sometimes wonder what could have been if Asha got more such songs in Hindi especially on the leading ladies of the black and white era. Also if Sudhin Das Gupta was in Hindi films, his path breaking works would have probably gave him as much accolades as RD Burman. 


 The orchestration has a Salil Chodhury touch but remains very original. 

 3) It was during my teens that I got introduced to Rabindra Sangeet accidentally. I was tuning the radio and caught a melody in an unfamiliar language. And the love affair is still strong. 


 Marathi: 

 1) Lets begin with a divine song from the diva ! 


 2) When I first came across this song, I couldn't help listening to it in a loop. I contacted Dr. Suresh Chandvankar and he explained that this is based on Raag Desh. Since it is so steeped in the classical idiom, I could appreciate the melody even though I didn't understand the words. 


 Asha Bhosle was accompanied by Sudhir Phadke in that song.

 3) The next composition is by Sudhir Phadke's son Shridhar Phadke from the album Rutu Hirawa. From the effervescent title number to the Poignant "maajhiya mana zara thamana" the songs cover the gamut of emotions. Its tough to pick one favorite but I will settle for "saanjh ye gokuli" because it just paints a picture.. 


 Finally its the turn of Hindi. 

 1) A very uplifting song which I typically use to greet friends on Diwali. 


 2) This Gaud Sarang piece just blows you off. The piece-de-resistance are the taans at the end of the song. 


 3) Asha brought joie de vivre to her songs, and Ghazals are no exception. Her collaboration across the border; Ghulam Ali and Faiz in this case showcases that music has no boundaries.


jo dil ne lai badli to maddham hui har saaz ka rang.. 

 On that note, as this article fades into the vacuum of space; I am looking forward to the next celebrations in our community.

2 comments: